An exploration of trans and non-binary inclusion in running, and how unexpectedly, the sport of trail running is leading the way in creating policies and practices to make runners feel welcome, safe, and seen at their races.
First, we’re going to hear a story from Zobel Belisario, a queer, non-binary trail and ultra runner. Next, a discussion with Patti Flynn, endurance athlete, runner, cyclist, and Senior DEI Consultant at the Equality Institute. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in supporting trans and non-binary runners. Finally, an excerpt from the poem, Zone of Rarity, read by author J Mase III, a Black/trans/queer poet & educator based in Seattle, by way of Philadelphia.
Meet the guests:
Zobel Belisario (they/them/their)
- Pacer with Chinatown Runners
- Volunteer Coordinator at The Phoenix NYC
Patti Flynn (she/her)
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion Strategy Consultant
- LGBTQ+ Speaker & Writer
- Ironman finisher
Calls to action:
- Be thoughtful with how you cheer for runners, not assuming you know their gender
- Reach out to races and ask for a third gender to be added to race registration, what policy changes can you encourage races to change to be more inclusive for non-binary and trans runners?
- Donate to https://sportinclusionproject.com
- Check out Chris Mosier website, transathlete.com to find information about trans inclusion in athletics at various levels of play
- Support J Mase III by checking out his book, And Then I Got Fired: One Transqueer’s Reflections on Grief, Unemployment and Inappropriate Jokes About Death
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
A special thank you to Chris Mosier for introducing us to Patti and J Mase III, as well as for his guidance in helping create this episode.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
listen to Running Realized
Learn more about Running Realized
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on April 19 for Episode five!