Today we are having a crossover episode, sharing episode five of Running Realized: The Lifelines Of Your Running Shoes. Be sure to go subscribe to Running Realized to catch up on the previous and future episodes of season one here.
An exploration of understanding the environmental impact of the running footwear industry – what sustainability looks like now and what we hope for it to be in the future.
First, we’ll hear the story of the lifecycle of one pair of running shoes, from concept to landfill with Bennett Grimes, Senior Product Manager of Footwear at REI’s Co-Op. Next, we’ll have a discussion on the future of materials with Jad Finck, VP of Innovation and Sustainability at Allbirds. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in making the running industry a more sustainable place. Finally, we’ll hear from Zoë Rom, Runner, climate activist and Associate Editor at Trail Runner magazine, as she reads her poem, written exclusively for Running Realized, “Last Words.”
Meet the guests:
- Senior Product Manager at REI
- 2:18 marathoner
- Father to 17 month old Baker
- NCAA XC All-American with Western Washington University
- 13 years in the running/footwear industry
- Vice President of Innovation & Sustainability at Allbirds
- Mechanical engineering degree from Stanford University
- MBA from the USC Marshall School of Business.
Calls to action:
- Be intentional with your purchases & vote with your dollars, buying sustainable products, especially from companies that are testing out sustainable products, sends them a big message that consumers see sustainability as important
- Research and reaching out to companies you care about to ask them for their carbon numbers
- Donate your shoes to SolesForSouls, Shoe4Africa, or other donation services
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email email@example.com to share.
A special thank you to Zoë Rom for writing an original poem to go with this episode, find Zoë’s DNF podcast for similar shows to Running Realized.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Listen to the Running for Real Podcast here:[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/18827267/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Apple (iTunes) Podcast | Sticher | Castbox | Overcast | Spotify | Google Play | iHeartradio |
Thank you to Generation UCAN, Momentous, and Athletic Greens for sponsoring this episode.
Thank you Generation UCAN, I have been talking about them for years and my ONLY source for fueling while I am training and racing. And without fail I have had a product of UCAN every day, whether it is a peanut butter chocolate bar or their delicious cookies and cream protein powder. I am also excited to share with you a NEW product, a gel! Completely fueled with superstarch and ready to go wherever you are headed off to.
Use code TINAUCAN for 20% off of your order.
I would like to introduce to you Brain Drive from Momentous, I tested it out on my trail marathon race and I was able to stay focused and present during the WHOLE race. It has also been helpful for me while I am getting work done in just providing me with that focus that I need. It’s caffeine free which I also love.
Go here and use code TINA for 20% off.
Athletic Greens is a simple and easy way to get 75 vitamins, minerals, and whole food source ingredients. Just to help my immune system be stronger and greater! It is so simple to make and it tastes good as well. I used this for my prenatal and I am still using it while breastfeeding.
Now you can get up to a YEAR supply of Vitamin D3 and K2 for free with your first purchase of Athletic Greens through my podcast. Visit here to learn more!
Thanks for listening!
We know there are so many podcasts you could be listening to, but we are honored you have chosen Running For Real. If you appreciate the work that we do, here are a few things you can do to support us:
- Take a screenshot of the episode, and share it with your friends, family, and community on social media, especially if you feel that topic will relate to them. Be sure to tag us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- If you are struggling through something a guest mentions, chances are, others are too, and you will help them feel less alone
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or your favorite podcast player
- Your ratings and reviews will really help us grow and reach new people
Not sure how to leave a review or subscribe, you can find out here.
Thank you to Bennet and Jad, we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the show.