There are a LOT of questions we have about running through pregnancy and how to approach recovery after having your baby.
As runners we LOVE control. If you are thinking of trying for a baby, pregnant already, or beginning your postpartum journey, a lot of the control is taken away. Your body is no longer your own, and it seems to have a mind of its own. In the Pregnancy and Postpartum Guide for Runners, seven experts share their answers to the questions you’ve been wondering about.
The Pregnancy and Postpartum Guide for Runners includes:
40 pages of advice and recommendations:
- Seven experts from the health, nutrition, and fitness field with expertise in women’s health and pregnancy
Subheadings to easily find the questions that matter to you:
- Easy to navigate and find the information you need
- Refer back to the guide as your pregnancy progresses
Featuring these pregnancy and postpartum professionals:
- Brooke Kalisiak, pelvic floor PT
- Dr. Jennifer Fuson, OBGYN
- Carolyn Yates, pelvic floor PT
- Dr. Nicole Avena, neuroscientist and author of What to Eat When You’re Pregnant
- Rachel Selman, pelvic floor PT
- Celeste Goodson, pre and post-natal trainer
- Dr. Diane Rosen, OBGYN
The Pregnancy and Postpartum Guide for Runners will answer your questions:
Running through pregnancy
- Is it dangerous to run?
- How hard is too hard?
- What if family members are saying things?
- How do you handle judgment from others?
- When is it not safe to run?
- Which pains can I run through?
- Can I run all the way through my pregnancy?
- How much running is okay?
- Why does it feel SO hard to run in pregnancy?
- Do I have to worry about overheating?
- What pain during and after running is okay?
- If I stop running for a few days/weeks because of pain, can I start running again?
It doesn’t have to be running
- What are the benefits of exercise for baby and mother?
- Thoughts on strength training during pregnancy?
- What other forms of exercise should I consider?
- Additional exercises to add?
Self care as a new mother
- I feel a NEED to get back out there; is that normal?
- Why is it important to take time for myself (to exercise or not)?
- Any final advice?
Emotional changes to attitude
- How can I get out of the competitive mode, being in that mindset of having to push myself?
- I want to set a good example for my child, how can I do that?
Other pregnancy questions
- What do I need to know about nutrition during pregnancy?
- What do I need to keep in mind during my first trimester?
- Do pregnancy bands help?
- What other health issues do I need to keep in mind?
- What do cravings mean?
Returning to running after baby
- How much time should I take off after giving birth?
- What do I need to know about the recovery process the body is going through?
- What should I expect to feel?
- What is not normal in recovery?
- What if I am dealing with incontinence?