An exploration of “The List,” a record of approximately twenty Black female marathoners born in the US who have broken three hours in the marathon. Knox Robinson and Tina Muir find out why that is, and discuss what steps can be taken to help it grow.
First, we hear the story of Samia Akbar, the fastest US Born Black female marathoner. Second, a discussion with Marilyn Bevans who was second place female at the 1977 Boston Marathon and the first Black female runner to break three hours in the marathon. She shares her experience as a pioneer and youth coach for over three decades. Third, a breakdown and three calls-to-action for how listeners can take immediate next steps to be active participants in the growth of Black and Brown female runners at the grassroots level and beyond. Finally, a song from Tracksmith Fellow, Circa 95.
Meet the guests:
- Fastest known US-born Black female marathoner with a time of 2:34:14 at the 2006 New York City Marathon
- It was only about two years ago that Samia found out her time had been a record as the first-US born Black female marathoner
- On Fast Women
- First Black female runner to break 3 hours in the marathon
- 2nd place female in the 1977 Boston Marathon with a time of 2:51:12
- Has run the Boston Marathon six times
- Ran the same race President Carter ran in 1979 (Catoctin Mountain 10K race). President Carter collapsed during the race so he was the one who gave her the first place award after her race.
- Just Run Trailblazing Marathoner
National Black Marathoner Association
Calls to action:
- Donate to Jeuness Track Club
- USATF Club Search or use a search engine to find youth clubs in your area
- Challenge your assumptions
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email email@example.com to share.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Be sure to check out 1DAY and the rest of the music by Circa ’95. Find out more at www.circa95.com
listen to Running Realized
Learn more about Running Realized
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us. See you on March 8th for Episode two!