An exploration of motherhood and the Olympics.
First, through the storytelling of Dawn Harper-Nelson, Olympic gold and silver medalist, a wife and a mom. Next, a discussion with Molly Dickens, Co-Founder and Executive Director of &Mother, on the inequities and barriers that exist for athlete mothers and what the future state should look like. Then, a breakdown and call to action on how the listener can take immediate next steps on being an active participant in supporting equity for mothers and women in their Olympic journeys.
Meet the guests:
- 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist in 100m hurdles
- 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist in 100m hurdles
- Tied the Olympic record of 12.37 in 2012
- Co-Founder of &Mother
listen to Running Realized
Calls to action:
- When you see mothers working out or running, tell them they are doing a good job or that they are inspiring. It might be just what they need to hear
- Tag on social media and purchase from companies that do make an effort to support mothers, thank them for recognizing the outstanding value of mothers
- Refrain from commenting on other peoples bodies/exercise habits during pregnancy and postpartum, leave to the doctors and midwives to advise
- Donate to &Mother
- Check out Mamava for resources and breastfeeding services in the US
- Article Knox mentioned about his partner, Leta Shy sparking Allyson Felix activism for Black Maternal Health
- List of organizations Running Realized and Tracksmith have donated to throughout this first season
If you take action and do one of our suggested takeaways, tell us! We would love to hear what you did, and how it changed you. Tag us in a post on Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org to share.
Running Realized is hosted by Tina Muir and Knox Robinson. Produced by Jon Phillips. Original music, sound design, and mix by Daniel Brunelle. Edited by Gordon Bramli. Cover image created by Mari De Monte and Toby Kelleher.
Learn more about Running Realized
Sign up for the Running Realized Newsletter
Thank you to Tracksmith for partnering with running realized
Tracksmith is a Boston-based running apparel brand, born from a desire to celebrate both the history and the evolving culture of running. Their team works to create a space where stories and conversations from all corners of the sport are welcome. They believe that stories have the power to both inspire the next generation and grow the sport. And they know that conversations drive change and empower new perspectives. Check out the Tracksmith Journal at journal.tracksmith.com to learn more.
Thanks for listening!
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews are appreciated!
- Share a screenshot of the podcast on your social media and encourage others to go listen too. Be sure to tag Running Realized if you share on Instagram (Tag Knox and Tina too!)
Thanks for joining us for season one!